Adding Data Systems
This article provides instructions on adding a new Data System to your Organization.
This article provides instructions on adding a new Data System to your Organization. For more information on what Data Systems are and how to setup and use them, check out the following articles:
- To learn more about how Data Systems work, refer to this article: Data Systems Overview
- For details on creating and managing Data System attributes, such as Relationship and Destinations, refer to this article: Managing Data System Attributes
Adding a New Data System
1. Click on the Global Settings drop-down menu and choose Data Systems.
2. Click Add Data System.
3. Select the Data System Type.
Begin typing to search for your Data System or scroll down to select from the system types that are available. For any types of data systems that aren’t yet supported, you can select Custom.
4. Add the following Data System attributes (optional):
- Origins: Where does the data from the data system originates from.
- Destinations: Where the data is sent to and who the data is shared with.
- Processing Purposes: What the data in this system is used for.
- Processing Activities: The activities associated with the data in this system.
- Personal Data Categories: The types of personal data that are stored in the data system. You can add your own custom options, but we include the following predefined options as well:
· Credit/Payment Card Number: Credit, debit, or other payment card information.
· Date of Birth: The date of birth for a person.
· Government Identification: Government identification for a person, including driver licenses, passports, etc.
· Phone Number: A person’s home, business, or mobile telephone numbers.
· Postal Address: Postal addresses associated with a person.
· Email Address: A person’s personal and/or business email addresses.
· Name: The name of a person, including first name, last name, etc.
- Cross Border: Toggle to “True” if data in this system is sent outside of your country.
- Retention: This determines how long data is held in this particular system. The default retention is 12 months.
5. Add the contacts at your company or other companies associated with this Data System (optional).
6. Add the following details:
- Name (required): The friendly name used to identify your data source in the Admin UI.
- Relationship (optional): Relationship is for identifying the relationship of this data system in regards to your company. While you can add your own custom options as well, in most cases this will be set to one of the following predefined options:
· Controller: Legal or natural person, an agency, a public authority, or any other body who, alone or when joined with others, determines the purposes of any personal data and the means of processing it.
· Joint Controller: Third party data processor engaged by a Data Processor who has or will have access to or process personal data from a Data Controller.
· Processor: Legal or a natural person, agency, public authority, or any other body who processes personal data on behalf of a data controller.
· Sub-Processor: Two or more data controllers that jointly decide why and how to process personal data.
Note: Internally managed and maintained systems are usually a Controller. External systems, like SaaS products, are usually a Processor.
- Security Measures (optional): The security measures that are in place to protect the data in this system.
- Additional Notes (optional): Any additional details associated with this Data System.
We will display a message letting you know the Data System has been successfully added.